Your Cub Scout knife is an important tool. You can do many things with its blades. The cutting blade is the one you will use most of the time. With it you can make shavings and chips and carve all kinds of things.
You must be very careful and think when you whittle or carve. Take good care of your knife. Always remember that a knife is a tool, not a toy. Use it with care so that you don't hurt yourself or spoil what you are carving.
Know the safety rules for handling a knife
* A knife is a tool, not a toy.
* Know how to sharpen a knife. A sharp knife is safer because it is less likely to slip and cut you.
* Keep the blade clean.
* Never carry an open knife in your hand.
* When you are not using a knife, close it and put it away.
* Keep your knife dry.
* When you are using the cutting blade, do not try to make big shavings or chips. Easy does it.
Knives are not toys!
* Close the blade with the palm of your hand.
* A knife should never be used on something that will dull or break it.
* Be careful that you do not cut yourself or any person nearby.
* A knife should never be used to strip the bark from a tree.
* Do not carve your initials into anything that does not belong to you.
Circle T if True, F if False:
T___F You should close the blade with the palm of your hand
T___F A knife is just a toy.
It's okay to keep your knife wet.
A dull knife is more likely to slip and cut you.
You should carry your open knife in your pocket.
Carving your initials into a tree is okay.
The Pocketknife Pledge (fill in the blanks from the list below)
I understand the reason for ______________ rules.
I will treat my pocketknife with the ________________ due a useful tool.
I will always _____________ my pocketknife and put it away when not in use.
I will not use my pocketknife when it might ___________ someone near me.
I ___________________ never to throw my pocketknife for any reason.
I will use my pocketknife in a safe manner at ______________ times.
close respect injure promise all safety
Last updated October 19, 2000Visit Pack 114's Library | Visit Pack 114's Home Page